Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Simple Song

I love that we have memories. Though some memories can be bad and you want to ignore them and close them up so you can’t remember them – others can be fun, special, funny and bring a smile to your face. For me, I can hear a song and a flood of memories will return. The song will trigger a memory that will take me back to a certain event, location, thoughts, smells and it is like I am back in the exact moment once again. It is as if time has stood still for those brief three minutes. Today I had my ipod on the shuffle setting and Chris Tomlin’s, “God of This City” came through my headphones. A smile immediately came to my face. I had a flashback to January 1, 2007 when I attended the Passion Conference in Atlanta, Georgia. I attended Passion with fifteen friends from ECU. Passion wasn’t just a small three-day conference in Atlanta. It was attended by 24,000 college students. We overtook the city! College students covered the sidewalks on the treks from the various hotels in downtown Atlanta to Philips Arena and Georgia World Congress Center. Everyday the CNN Center Food Court ran out of food. There were college students everywhere – overtaking the sidewalks, stopping traffic, eating downtown completely out of food and learning about God. Our group shared a lot of fun laughs, memories and “inside jokes.” Our first night in Atlanta was New Year’s Eve and we didn’t have a hotel reservation. So all fifteen of us crashed on the living room floor of my brother’s condo. We were lined up shoulder-to-shoulder like sardines. I still can’t believe he trusted fifteen college students in his condo!

15 Pirates loose in Atlanta!



Passion students flooding the streets of Atlanta!

No comments:

Post a Comment