Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Whole Lot of Shakin' Going On!

Today was a first! I have lived in North Carolina my whole life, and today I experienced an earthquake! Sitting at work all of a sudden my monitor started to shake, then the flourescent lights above me started to shake and almost give a humming sound. It lasted about 20-30 seconds. Lots of thoughts were crossing mind during these quick seconds. Thoughts like, "Am I imagining this?," and "Could this be an earthquake?" I quickly reminded myself - I live in NC. I've never known us to have an earthquake. Everyone in the office was thinking the same thing. Within moments Twitter and Facebook were telling us that this was in fact an earthquake. A 5.8 magnitude earthquake near Richmond, Virginia that could be felt as far south as Charleston, SC, the beaches of NC to as north as New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
What I was most amazed by was the technology that we have access to in our modern times. Within seconds my Twitter and Newsfeed was full of information regarding this earthquake before the local or national news had posted it to their websites.
I can now say that I've survived an earthquake and that 2011 has brought me another "first."


No comments:

Post a Comment